Being a leader is all about making a difference in the lives of others!
The Camp S.W.A.G. Youth Leadership Program (YLP) is open to all eligible middle school students.
This program addresses the issues of middle school students, as well as leadership training and activities.
High School Students, please visit Youth Leadership Program for High School Students.
The purpose of this 12-month youth leadership program is to address the issues that middle school students face everyday. Our goal is to encourage students to make a difference in their community by fostering respect, independence, mutual understanding, civic engagement among their peers and building strong long-lasting relationships. Students will gain a better understanding of who they are, who they aspire to be and to prepare them for high school.
WHAT WE DO
The Camp S.W.A.G. Leadership program is designed to ensure that each participant develop leadership skills via our strong curriculum which is taught by well- trained and skilled facilitators. The program provides a safe non-judgmental and caring environment where members can come together and explore what leadership is and looks like their community. Our leadership program will spark imagination and creativity, promote honest and clear communication, develop complex listening skills, and collaborative thinking.
The Youth Leadership Program for Middle School Students is focused on empowering tomorrows leaders, by providing programs, workshops, resources and events that promote leadership skills.
CSWAG Uniforms & Gear
- CSWAG Blazer
- CSWAG Polo Shirt
- CSWAG T-Shirt
- CSWAG Hoodie
- CSWAG ID Card
- Out of Country Field Trip – The Leaders Vote on the Destination and We’re Off
- San Francisco Field Trip
- All Girls One-Week Overnight Resident Leadership Camp either all Girls Leadership Camp or One-Week Co-Ed Resident Youth Leadership Camp
- Magic Mountain Field Trip
- Hiking in Santa Monica Mountains
- White Water Rafting
- Weekend Ski Trip
- Additional Local Fields to be Scheduled
All field trips will take place when the leaders are not in school, most are in the summer and during spring break. Some field trips require additional fees.
Meetings & Activities
- 12 Month Program
- 3-Hour Monthly Leadership Meetings & Leadership Activities
- Free lunch during all meetings and activities
- High School Transition Workshop
- Graduation Ceremony (Formal Attire Required)
- Teen Talent Show Committee & Volunteer Opportunities
- Camp S.W.A.G. Credit for Volunteering at Events
- Volunteer Community Service Projects (CSWAG T-shirt or CSWAG Polo Shirt Required)
- Youth Development Activities for Middle School Students
- Interactive Leadership Activities for Middle School Students
- Participate in Organized Meetings with Community Leaders (CSWAG Blazer Required)
- Negotiation and Conflict Resolution Skills for Middle School Students
- Persuasive Communication Skills for Middle School Students
- Team Building Skills
- Self-Esteem Building Skills
- Goal Setting & Time Management Skills
- How to Deal With Bully’s
- Developing Positive Relationships
- Prepare them to become the Youth Leadership Ambassadors of tomorrow
- Prepare them to become Youth Mentors
- Conduct and Facilitate Fundraisers to Help Pay for Field Trips
- Guest Speakers
- Family Nights
- Teen Holiday Parties
- And Much More…
All applicants must:
- Currently be enrolled in a middle school in the Los Angeles area
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.2 and must be in academic standing and have no attendance or disciplinary problems at their school.
- Complete a Youth Leadership Program Application and interview with Camp S.W.A.G. Leadership Program Advisors
- References – Provide at least three references (2) from school teachers and (1) from a coach, counselor, principal, pastor, work supervisor, community member, etc.
- Official copy of school transcripts (Please bring sealed official transcripts to orientation and interview)
- Pay all tuition and fees via Camp S.W.A.G. Payments or apply for a limited number of Financial Need Based Scholarship. Please contact us at (424) 354-9196 if you wish to apply for the Financial Need Based Scholarship.
Application & Forms:
- Online Youth Leadership Program Application or download the Youth Leadership Application
- Recommendation Form (3 Recommendations, see above for details)
Photo Release Form
Forms can be submitted via email to Membership. Once all forms and payments have been received, you will immediately receive email confirmation of your registration. We will contact you with 24-48 to schedule a brief telephone interview to prepare you for orientation and panel interview.
Youth Leadership Program Dates & Location
January 1, 2018 – December 31, 2018
Saturday afternoons from 12:00 pm – 4:00pm
Orientation is January 6, 2018 from 12:00pm – 4:00pm
LOCATION: Pan Pacific Recreation Center, 7600 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90036
Santa Monica location (26th & Santa Monica Blvd.) coming soon in January 2018 – Stay Tuned
If you are interested in the Youth Leadership Program at your school or organization, please give Dorothy a call at (424) 354-9196.
Cost: Free to all Youth Leadership Program Members
When: One week in August of 2018 (Date and location TBD)
While Resident Leadership Camp is FREE to all CSWAG Youth Leadership Program members, you MUST register and submit all required medical forms.
Tuition and Fees
$4,500.00 for 12-month program, plus a $500 one-time non-refundable administrative fees, which includes the cost of all uniforms.
Six-month payment plans available. Please visit Camp S.W.A.G. Payments for more details. There are a limited number of Financial Need Based Scholarships available. If you need financial assistance, please visit Camp S.W.A.G. Financial Assistance.
If you are interested in “Sponsoring” a student for this program, please visit “Sponsor a Leader” or give Dorothy a call at (424) 354-9196.
If you require alternate payment arrangements or have questions about the program, please give Dorothy Lenon a call at (424) 354-9196.
Out of Country Field Trips
There is an additional cost for all out of country field trips, which range from $2500-$5000 depending upon the field trip and length of time. There will be NO field trips to countries that are on the U.S. Passports & International Travel Alerts and Warnings List. Parents and members are encouraged to register in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).
Passports are required. However, if your child does not have a passport, we will offer informational assistance in acquiring a passport. Passport fees range from approximately $100 – $175. Please visit Your U.S. Passport for more information or contact U.S. Passports & International Travel at 1-877-487-2778.
All field trips are determined by a vote of all leadership members at the second or third membership meeting. At the first leadership meeting all members are asked to think about where they wish to go and a vote is taken at the second or third meeting.
Fundraising will be orchestrated and carried out by leadership members to assist in the cost of all field trips.
Parents are encouraged to participate as chaperones, if interested. Additional vaccinations may be required for some trips.
Are you interested in becoming Youth Leadership Program Ambassador?
Camp S.W.A.G. is looking for five Ambassadors to help promote the Leadership programs. All Ambassadors will receive free admission to one of the applicable Leadership Programs, when you recruit two full paying members. If you are an adult ambassador, you will be allowed to sponsor one teen for the Leadership Program per two full paying leadership members. Please visit Ambassadors for Leadership Programs for more details.